On 1st July 2014 NISA announced the new squad structure for the 2014/2015 season, along with the required TES scores and the specified elements.
In previous years access to the squads was based on test score and for Performance, achieving the ISU TES score for ISU Championships. The new structure in place does make gaining access to the squad a little tougher than before - skaters must achieve the required scores and specified elements, and these must be evidenced with the production of a PDF which meets all of the above criteria.
Skaters and coaches must when applying for the squads make sure of the following:
1. The application is completed and submitted to the NISA office.
2. The required PDFs must highlight the specified elements and must meet the TES and TSS for the chosen level.
3. All jump elements must be cleanly landed. Jumps with <, << or no level elements will not be accepted.
4. Skaters may use more than one PDF to identify the specified elements, but each PDF submitted must meet the required TES and TSS score.
5. You must clearly identify the squad you are applying for and that you meet the age requirements.
6. Skaters who participate in solo ice dance will be accepted to the Regional squads (Levels 1 and 2) up to the age of 15 years old. Any dancer over 15 years old will only gain access to the squads if they are part of an Ice Dance couple.
7. If the specified element requirements are for two double jumps, then this means two different double jumps. However one of these jumps may be used as part of a combination.
In the past skaters within the top 20 of the National Rankings have been asked to nominate international events they would like to attend; however skaters are not guaranteed to be allocated events and their choices have been kept on record in case they qualify to become squad members.
This season skaters going to international events will be skaters who are part of the British Squads only.
Being part of the British team should be more than being allowed to purchase a squad jacket and going to international events; it is my job as Development Director to try to raise the standard of skaters going to internationals and put in place a support structure for both skaters and coaches. Skaters should feel honour, pride and a sense of worth being part of the team representing Great Britain.
Moving forwards squads skaters will not only have the chance to wear the team kit and compete abroad but will also be able to gain access to support staff and international coaches on a regular basis, through camps and seminars on and off ice, putting in place support structures and monitoring that will develop champions of the future.
HOWEVER- this season it has been decided that skaters in the top ten of the rankings after the British Championships who meet the following requirements, will be permitted to attend one ISU international event in the second half of the ISU calendar (1st January onward).
All Dance and Pairs categories- no requirements apart from being ISU age-eligible and holding the relevant NISA competitive tests.
Basic Novice and Advanced Novice Singles (Men and Ladies)- no requirements apart from being ISU age-eligible and holding the relevant NISA competitive test.
Junior Ladies- Double Axel in short programme, ISU age-eligible and must hold NISA competitive test.
Junior Men - Double Axel and one triple in short programme, ISU age-eligible and must hold NISA competitive test.
Senior Ladies - Double Axel and one triple in short programme, ISU age-eligible and must hold NISA competitive test.
Senior Men - Double Axel, two triples in short programme, ISU age-eligible and must hold NISA competitive test.
Please note all of the required jump elements must be cleanly landed and no under-rotated or down-graded elements will be accepted.
If you are ranked in the top ten as of the published rankings on Monday 1st December following the British and you qualify based on the above criteria, please email your preferred ISU International competition choices (1 – 5 in order of preference) to Emma Walton at the NISA office – email@example.com
A list of ISU International competitions is attached with this announcement.
All selections will be made by the Performance and Development director in accordance with the NISA selection policy.
If anyone has any questions then please feel free to contact myself via email.
NISA Development Director