t: 01159 888 060


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Am I eligible to skate for the UK?

To be eligible for selection to skate for the UK you need to hold a British passport and you need to be a member of NISA. There are no residency requirements.

2. I have previously skated for another country – can I still skate for the UK?

If you are a dual nationality holder and have previously skated for another country, the ISU will have to approve your change to skate for the UK.

3. How do I register a record claim?

Full details are provided in the document ‘ British Long Track Records’ in the download section. In summary, the time needs to be achieved on a 400m track in a competition recognised by the skating federation of the country in which it was performed and needs to be claimed within 2 months. The record will be ratified only after background checks by NISA have been completed.

4. Do I need to be a member of NISA even if I live outside of the UK?

Yes. To participate in any UK skating event, to claim a British record or to represent the UK in Long Track speed skating you will need to be a member of NISA. This is irrespective of your country of residence. Membership details can be found elsewhere on the website.

5. Where can I ice skate in the UK?

Please click here to access all ice rinks in the UK.

6. Can I still do train for Long Track without a 400m track close by?

Absolutely! Of course, having regular access to a 400m track will help, but actually the majority of training can be performed successfully without access to a 400m track and through the summer months all training can be performed with very limited access to ice. Through the winter access to ice facilities will be needed with at least sporadic access to a 400m track. NISA is working to ensure the availability of ice time on a 400m track in Netherlands.

7. What competition scene is there for UK Long Track skaters?

NISA are currently working hard to set up a regular series of Long Track competitions in UK and NL and hope to be able to start an annual national championships in the near future.

8. What equipment do I need for Long Track?

For training on the ice you need a suit or sallopettes, gloves, a hat and good quality clap skates. For other training then in-line skates, a racing bike and a good pair of trainers will be needed. For serious competition you will need a competition suit and a sharpening table and stone. click here for more information

9. Is it difficult to move from shorttrack skates to Long Track clap skates?

A good coach can teach an experienced shorttrack skater or in-line skater the basics within 1 day. It takes a few more days to become fully accustomed to them. It takes a lifetime to master the technique.

10. What other sports build good potential skaters?

Typically people who have previously trained for shorttrack or in-line skating make a relatively easy and successful transition to Long Track skating. However, also people who have previously trained for gymnastics, cycling or rowing tend to make excellent skaters although it usually takes them longer to get to grips with the technique.

11. Can I get a British Passport

Details of how to apply for a British Passport and British Citizenship can be found at www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk. In summary, the eligibility criteria can be broken down to:
- Birth:
- A) If you were born in the UK or a British Territory and at least one of your parents is British or was legally settled in the UK or British Territory – then you are almost certainly a British Citizen and eligible for a British Passport
- B) If one of your parents is British – you are also almost certainly a British Citizen irrespective of your place of birth.
- Marriage: Marriage enables you to apply for citizenship via naturalisation, the 3 year residence is still applicable.
- Naturalisation: This is only applicable if you are living in the UK, have permanent residence status in the UK and been living in the UK for at least 3 years.

12. What about Dual Nationality?

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen and hold a British passport. For representing the UK, dual nationality is not an issue as long as you have not previously represented the other country at an international competition. In this case the permission of the ISU is needed before you can represent the UK. You will not be able to revert back to represent another country after such a switch.